Monday, July 2, 2012

I think I blinked and missed the entire month of May and June, it went so fast!  For the Couch Family, May was full of fun and some not so fun moments.  Namely, Dean went for his first swim in a swimming pool (and loved it!), but also got his first visit to an ER (for what turned out to be hives from a flea bite, they tell us). Luckily, he is fully recovered from the flea bite at this point, but the story goes like this ....One Friday- May 25th to be exact- after his afternoon nap, Dean suddenly woke up with what appeared to be bites on the tops of both wrists.  They were red and raised, and I thought for sure a spider must have bit him while he slept.  I looked all over for a spider (despite how much I hate spiders), by pulling out his crib, changing his sheets, lifting his mattress...but couldn't find anything.  So I just monitored his mood for the next couple days, and let it go. He was still eating fine, sleeping like usual, and didn't seem bothered by anyone who touched the bumps on his wrists. Sunday morning came and we went to church, where we talked to some friends about it who are nurses. They thought it looked bad enough to go to a doctor.  That had me worried because although his mood was normal, Dean's bites did appear to be getting a little larger and redder.  So we left church and headed for the ER.  I wanted to take him to our pediatrician, but they are closed on weekends and it was Memorial Day weekend to boot, so that was not an option.  My next thought was to take Dean to an urgent care facility I had been to once, but it was also closed on Sundays too...So to the ER we went (the same hospital Dean was born at). They looked at the bites and determined it was either an ant or mosquito bite (Can't say it really looked like either of those things, but who was I to question).  Anyway, they gave us some topical steriod cream to apply to Dean's wrists and sent us on our way.  We applied it twice a day, until Tuesday morning rolled around. Tuesday morning, I was changing Dean out of his Pajamas when I noticed his bites were not only on his wrists, but now they were on his upper arms as well!  No way the ant or misquito had migrated all the way to his crib downstairs too!  So I called the Pediatrician, who thankfully got us in that same afternoon.  Our pediatrician looked at it and made the diagnosis of "Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease".  Despite it's omionous sounding name, it is a harmless virus children can pick up from other kids from shared toys, etc. (sort of like the flu but with red bumps). Although, our doctor said that usually the disease causes bumps/rashes on a child's palms and on the soles of their feet...neither of which Dean had.  It still was only on his wrists and upper arm.  So she refered us to a Pediatric Dermatologist just to be sure.  Luckily, we were able to sneak in and get an appointment with the pediatric dermatologist for the next day (Wednesday) due to a cancellation, and he confirmed that what Dean had was neither of the previous diagnoses.  Within seconds of looking at Dean's wrists, he said that it was a condition called "Papular Urticaria".  After I had him slowly repeat the name to me several times,  he explained that it was basically a rash caused by a flea bite (thanks a lot Barkley!). The condition was also harmless, with the worst part being that it can cause an incredibly yucky looking cluster of hives, that are known to be pretty itchy.  The doctor said that all it takes is one singular flea bite for Dean to have the reaction he did. The good news is that the bumps clear up on their own- but (and it's a big "but") that we can expect to see more "episodes" during warm spring/summer months, until Dean's around 5 years old...even if he never gets bit by a flea again! So there it is...the story of 3 different diagnoses in so many days.  In the end, I guess I am just glad we were able to finally figure out what it was. A month has pasted since the start of the flea bite-caused hives, and his skin is completely healed now.  The hives never seemed to itch him like the doctor said they might, and they also never spread anywhere besides his arms (except for like two little bumps on his leg- which I'm not even sure were related).  I'm hoping we don't have any other epidsodes, but the doctor seemed to be pretty certain we haven't seen the last of them.  A few weeks ago, Dean did start to get a few bumps (tiny pimple like bumps on his left arm), but they went away as quickly as they came on....so I'm not certain they were related either.  But maybe Dean will be the exception, and never get the hives again like he did. We will see, I guess.  Anyway, on the more positive side, Dean is gowing like a weed.  He is nearly 8 months old, and is now eating solid foods twice a day (mixed grain cereal for babies at breakfast and a vegetable or fruit in the afternoon).  Since starting him on solids, he has eaten rice cereal, oatmeal cereal, mixed grain cereal, sweet potatos, yellow squash, apples, and avocados- all without any allergic reactions!  He quite likes cereal time and always downs the whole bowl I prepare....vegetables on the other hand, are not his favorite (He must take after me). :)  So far, the only fruit or vegetable that we've given him that he seems to enjoy is avocado. We make all his vegetables and fruits at home with this great little blender we got called the "Baby Magic Bullet". This allows us to mix him up fresh jars of baby food, instead of using the pre-jarred stuff at he grocery store. We're hoping this will save us money and also be healthier for Dean. Well, this post is getting to be quite the novel, so I will just list the other things Dean has been up to lately so you can get to looking at the pictures (which is much more fun than reading all of this chit-chat) Here goes....  Dean's hair is starting to grow past his ears and nearly all of the really long hairs that he had on top of his head since birth (that used to blow in the wind like a bad toupee) are gone, he can now blow raspberries with his mouth, he likes to stand up more than sit down, when he stands he likes to bounce (which I think looks like super-cute dancing), he sneezes when he goes out in the sunlight after being indoors (this is a Smith trait- just ask my dad and my sister), we are still going to storytime twice a week, Dean likes to look at his world sideways by leaning his head left and right to look at things when you hold him, his  soft spot on the top of his head is nearly gone, he can roll over, and "Wheels on the Bus" is now Dean's favorite song.  He smiles and listens very intently everytime I sing it to him. :) Whew! I think that about covers it all. Now, on to the pictures!
 
Dean reading the book he got from Grandma Ev and Grandpa Jim when we all visited the Phoenix Zoo together in April.

A real page turner!

Sitting in Daddy's old rocking chair from when he was a little kid.

Dean's first time riding in a shopping cart like a big boy!


We visited the toy aisle while we were shopping. Dean was thrilled that Elmo was there to greet us!

A boy, a ball, and no pants.


Dean finally learned a bottle isn't a terrible way to get milk.
Milk coma.

Already, he's a control freak.

Dean's first solid food - Rice cereal! Ironically, it's consistency is more of a liquid than a solid (5-4-12)
Proceed with caution.


"I think there's something wrong with this milk!"


"Let me see that bowl, Mom! I plan to use it as a shield against your incoming spoon attempts!"


"Did you see my Cardinals bib?!"
Who's concentrating on the spoon more - Dean or Ryan?
Down the hatch!


Dean had to get shots in both legs from the pediatrician at his 6 month (old) appointment. And for some perspective on just how much Dean has grown.....
....here is a picture of Dean after his shots at the pediatricians office for his 1 month old appointment.


A little bit more composed than when he was a month old.

And excited that he doesn't have to go back to the doctor for more shots until he is nine months old.

Four days after having Rice Cereal for the first time, he finished his whole bowl. (5-8-12)
The look of a full belly. :)

Dean fell fast asleep in his high chair - and although it looks sweet, it nearly scared his Mommy half to death! Moments before, I had been vaccuming right in front of his highchair.  I looked down for two seconds, and when I looked up, Dean had face-planted right onto his tray!  I ran over to him, fearing that he somehow had choked on something.  As quick as I could, I lifted his head up and when I did, Dean simply cracked his eyes open halfway, smiled at me, and then slumped into the position in this picture. He had simply fallen asleep while sitting up! It is funny now, but at the time, it sure got my heart racing!


Strike a pose!

"Let me sit up straight!"

"Are you getting my good side?"

Dean really needs to get some sun.

Dean getting extra love from Mommy on Mother's Day.

Ryan feeding Dean.

"Oh...I think I overdid it on Rice Cereal today."
On Mother's Day, we went up to the mall and rode the carousel for the first time!

Dean did great on his first carousel ride! He didn't cry or fuss - just looked around at the lights and the gears going up and down above the horses.
The next week, we went and rode the carousel again at the mall. :)
I spy tiny toes!


Dean loves to poke his toes through the blanket his Aunt Sally made him while he naps.
Two fingers are better than one.

Dean's hives on his right arm- the result of "Papular Urticaria". This picture was taken while we waited for the ER doctor at the hospital. This is where they diagnosed it as a mosquito or an ant bite.


Left arm.



The ER told us to wrap Dean's wrists in order to keep him from eating the topical steriod creme we had to apply each day to his "bites".

My little rockstar- complete with rocker-type wristbands.

On Memorial Day, we were lucky enough to be invited over to a friends house to go swimming! Dean patienbtly waited while I got pictures of him in his first bathing suit.
Dean's ready for his first dip ever in a pool!
Dean still waiting to go in the pool.

"Yikes Mom, your hands are cold!"
Finally! Dean made it into the pool for the very first time.

Testing the water.

"My, this is a big bath tub, Mom".

Despite this look, Dean actually ended up loving the pool! He liked splashing around with his hands and kicking his legs under the water.
Daddy and Dean.

Watch out for the pool shark! (a.k.a. pool vacuum)


Dean was closing his eyes and envisioning he was Super Man.

Taking a time-out to reapply the sunblock after lunch.


War paint.
"Save me, Mom!"

The family that swims together....

Two days after the visit to the ER, some more tiny bumps appeared on Dean's upper arms.  I was already questioning the diagnosis of mosquito or ant bites, so this is when I decided to call the pediatrician for a second opinion.
These "bites" weren't as severe or as large as the first set, but still worrysome to both Ryan and I.


Like I mentioned at the beginning- it turned out to be Papular Urticaria (a.k.a. a flea bite). Thankfully, Dean has had no other outbreaks since this picture.


One person in this picture is happier than the other. I'll let you take a guess who that is. :) 

Dean unsuccessfully trying to woo Goliath closer with his piece of paper.
A week after Dean's first swimming pool adventure, we were invited to another pool party with our church care group.

Dean, Jeff, and Mark hamming it up for the camera.

Kylie hoping that no one is watching her get into her mother's bag.

Our host, Steve - trying (and succeeding) to look crazy.  But honestly, he is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. 

The two Jennifers - Jennifer Davis and Jennifer Cameron.

Dean's second time in a swimming pool.
Like the first time, he loved it! We stayed in until our fingers and toes looked like prunes.

Dean's third and final cereal (Mixed Grain) before moving on to vegetables.
"Did somebody say I get to try vegetables?!"
Evidently, Dean didn't like any of the toys I put on his highchair's tray table.
As Ryan would say: He's lucky he's so cute!
Dean at Thursday storytime, during "free-play" time at the end.


Shakin' the day away!
A new attachment for my bike!
Dean gets his own seat on my bike so that we can go on bike rides together. :)

We're ready for our first bike ride!



Strapped in and ready to ride!

For Dean's first bike ride, we rode on the nice pathway near our house.

Bump.





Dean did really good at staying still, but I was still a little worried how he'd do so I kept wanting to hold on to him. Ryan had to keep "reminding" me to put both hands on the handlebars.

Uh-oh.
Houston, we have a problem!

On the way home from our bike ride, Ryan's pedal randomly fell off his new bike we had just bought at Wal-Mart.  Here Ryan is explaining that his first mistake was buying a bike at Wal-Mart that also offers free-assembly.

MacGuyver to the rescue!  Ryan didn't have any tools with him to re-attach the pedal, so he used the metal buckle from one of his Birkenstocks (sandals) to aid in the temporary fix.

Dean patiently waited until Daddy had two pedals on his bike again.

Being that it was a little warm on our ride, when we took Dean's helmet off, he had some faboulous hat hair.



Daddy and Dean catching some zzzzzz's.

Zombie baby. This is how Dean looks almost every time he falls asleep.



Another day, another storytime (Friday afternoon storytime).

Shaken, not stirred.

Three of my favorite boys. :)

A surprise package sent by Grandpa Steve and Grandma Carol.
Dean opened his presents (with help from Mom & Dad) by grabbing on to a piece of the wrapping paper we'd tear for him, and then shaking the heck out of it.

"Really, Mom...another picture?!"
  

Posing with the card Grandpa Steve made him.

Operation: Sweet Potato (a.k.a Dean's first vegetable - 6/16/12)


Step One: Peel Potato.


Step Two: Have Daddy steam potato.

Step Three: Have same Daddy put steamed potato into the "Baby Magic Bullet" and then pour contents into Baby Magic Bullet happy face jars.
Step Four: Size up sweet potato in happy face jar.

Step Five: Attempt first bite of sweet potato.


Step Six: Let sweet potato linger on tongue.

Step Seven: Start water-works so Mom knows how much I don't care for the taste of sweet potato.
Step Eight: Repeat step seven.

Step Nine: Rethink steps seven and eight.

Step Ten:  Smile since I survived my first vegetable!

Day two of eating sweet potato went a little better than day one.
"Sweet potatos again?! Does this joint serve anything else?"

So the final verdict was that he never ended up liking sweet potato, but at least we could make it through a feeding without tears.


Presents for Ryan on his first Father's Day.

Dean watched with excitement for Daddy to open the gift from him.
Dean's card for Daddy (complete with Super Man music when the card opens).

Dean even signed it for him (his first signature!) - I let him hold the pen so he could scribble on Daddy's card.

Finally, Dean's present to Dad!

Dean got Ryan a toy race car....

....but it was what was attached to the toy race car that was really the present.

The tag reads: "Any 'Super Dad' needs to be faster than a speeding bullet...or in this case, as fast as a sports car going 100+ miles per hour around a race track.  This coupon entitles one "Super Dad" three laps in a Ferrari or Lamborghini around Texas Motor Speedway! So go as fast as you want, Dad...just don't tell Mom! Happy Father's Day, Love-Dean"

Dean even wore a special new outfit just for Daddy on Father's Day.

His shorts read, "I Dig Daddy". :)

Dean sporting some major "weekend hair".
Dean's newest toy - his walk & roll dinosaur. He can ride on it, or unlatch the seat (which then spreads apart), so he can learn to walk behind it.


I think Dad is jealous he doesn't have one!

 
 The next week, Dean was caught streaking (witha diaper) on his new dinosaur.

 
 

Dean taste testing the yellow squash before we "squash" it in the baby Magic Bullet. (6-20-12) 
"Do I have to finish all this to get dessert?"
   
Dean on his first day trying avocado, avoiding eye contact withit until he was sure he liked it. (6-28-12)

 
Happy we found something he likes!